Sunday, April 22, 2012

S is for Flash Fiction... Saturday?

In all the hubbub surrounding yesterday's URL redirection thing, I completely forgot about Flash Fiction Friday. I was on a hot streak today, editing Capitoline Hill (I plan to have it ready to send to beta readers tomorrow), so I decided to go with a snippet from my MG novel, Angels, especially since I won't get to post anything about it during the A-Z Challenge. I'm only on chapter 6, so it's still pretty early, but I'm liking the way it's turning out so far.

Short plot summary:

Zachary Taylor Middle School has an infestation of demons, and Mallory Shea is the only one who can see them. Well, Mallory and about 500 guardian angels, that is.

And here's a little snippet:

Did I think that real demons were going to show up at the eighth grade dance at Zachary Taylor Middle School? No, not really. And judging by my classmates’ reactions, everyone seemed really excited about the angels and demons theme. Girls were already starting to plan their costumes.

So I plastered on a big smile when Veronica glanced my way. Oh, and in case you were wondering, Veronica doesn’t know about my secret. She also doesn’t know she has a guardian angel. A pretty ugly one, actually, but I wouldn’t tell her that. If I were ever to tell her anything about this. She’s nice though, the angel. Iona. And she really loves Veronica, so I couldn’t ask for anyone better to guard my friend.

“What do you think?” Veronica asked as we walked back to Micah, standing awkwardly on the outskirts of the crowd. “Should we go as angels or demons? If we go as angels, we’ll be considered goody-goodies. But if we go as demons, everyone will thing we’re sluts.”

Micah made a face. “I hate that word,” he whined, but Veronica ignored him. Veronica usually ignored him. She wanted to be cool, and Micah was definitely not cool.

Behind her, Garwin made a face at me and made a little halo with his hands over his head. I barely resisted the urge to laugh, knowing that no one else would get it. “I think I’ll be an angel,” I said, and Garwin shot me a thumbs-up, complete with a goofy little dance that almost had me giggling again. He was a comedian, my angel. “I’d rather be a goody-goody than a slut.”

2 comments:

  1. Aw, this was a fun read. I like the idea of guardian angels that the MC can see, but others can't. I'd love to read more of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, it has a light touch. Iona is a good name - fairly common here in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete