Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Teaser Tuesday - 6/25/13

I haven't even really started Primary Colors yet, but I saw the movie a few years ago and loved it, so I might have done a little happy dance when Amazon delivered my copy of the book. I've been in a very political mood lately (watching too many reruns of The West Wing probably), so if anyone has any recommendations for political fiction--preferably ones that deal with the Presidency and/or the White House--I'd appreciate it. They've been difficult to find.

A brilliant and penetrating look behind the scenes of modern American politics, Primary Colors is a funny, wise, and dramatic story with characters and events that resemble some familiar, real-life figures. When a former congressional aide becomes part of the staff of the governor of a small Southern state, he watches in horror, admiration, and amazement, as the governor mixes calculation and sincerity in his not-so-above-board campaign for the presidency.

The rules for Teaser Tuesday are:

  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
  • Then hit up Should Be Reading to add your link.

And the teaser:

My inability to recall that particular moment more precisely is disappointing: the handshake is the threshold act, the beginning of politics. I've seen him do it two million times now, but I couldn't tell you how he does it, the right-handed part of it--the strength, quality, duration of it, the rudiments of pressing the flesh.

2 comments:

  1. A handshake could tell a lot about a person. I think he has it nailed down.

    My TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, yes! Sounds like an interesting read--although I tend to avoid politics. Don't need to be depressed or moody. ;)

    ReplyDelete